Manufacturing Engineering Intern Process Operations- Fall 2023
This position is accountable to support activities to define, document, validate, change, improve and maintain processes to manufacture components and assemblies within the Montgomery Facility. This includes all current processes, as well as new product releases, and/or product transfers.
Essential Job Functions:
· Participate on project and improvement teams. Support the efforts of engineers, technicians and other professionals of various disciplines/departments to design, develop, document and continuously improve product, equipment and processes.
· Assist Operation Engineers to plan, schedule, conduct and coordinate the design, validation, and initial prove-out of all processes for assigned projects.
· Recommend changes, updates and document changes required to ensure components are manufactured to current design requirements. While maintaining cost of components and assemblies at or below established targets.
· Interpret engineering drawings/documents for manufacturing. Communicate with the other areas within the Montgomery facility as required, to support technology transfer. Coordinate with CNC Programmers, Tool & Die, Purchasing and any required subcontractors to produce components to meet project and schedule delivery dates.
· Aid the Operations Engineer in Creating/coordinating Bills of Material (BOM), and other documents required to support manufacturing processes. Aid in processing/implementing engineering changes and product documentation per established schedules.
· Participate on CAPA and continuous improvement projects. Participate in audits, investigations and tests. Evaluate internal and/or external manufacturing processes and technologies. Support the Operations Engineers in identifying, initiating and implementing improvements to those processes.
· Support compliant process, failure investigations and material review boards.
· Assist in validating new processes and products. Develop flow charts, validation protocols. Perform DOE, DFMA, process capability studies and PFMEA as required. Initiate and implement strategies for reducing cost, improving quality and productivity by applying lean and six sigma methodologies.
· Assist in documenting all processes using AS400 and applicable Standard Work formats.
· Assist in specification, identification and justification of capital equipment to support Montgomery manufacturing processes.
· Assist in performing root cause analyses for process failures, and implementing countermeasures to eliminate causes.
· Evaluate processes to identify and eliminate wastes and improve quality and productivity.
· Ensure that all processes and equipment comply with all applicable OSHA, ISO and FDA standards.
· Support new product development activities including reviewing documentation / prototypes from the Engineering team and suggesting improvements, participating in pre-production builds and ensuring results are communicated back to engineering. Represents manufacturing/operations on new product development project teams as needed
· Other duties as assigned
Air conditioned atmosphere maintained. Standing, sitting, walking, bending, crouching, and lifting (40 lbs. maximum) during equipment testing. Keyboard work at computer monitor is necessary. Must wear safety shoes and safety glasses, and other required PPE while on manufacturing floor.
Applicant must be actively pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
· Enrollment in an accredited college or university’s Engineering Program
· Mechanical knowledge and aptitude
· Knowledge of machining, sheet metal fabrication, or welding is preferred.
· Ability to work both independently and with teams
· Excellent communication skills
· Excellent computer skills
· Must be able to stand/walk for up to 9 hours/day
· Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs. without assistance
· Must have independent transportation to and from work
· Must have the ability to analyze and troubleshoot effectively