Co-op ENGINEER (CIVL)
Summer 2023: CIVL
Fall 2023: CIVL
Spring 2024: CIVL
Housing: Company will provide a stipend for the work term.
Location : Birmingham, AL
Engineering Co-op Student Program
The Engineering Co-op student program will be in our Birmingham, AL office. The position will be responsible for helping deliver on the entire span of Waggoner projects. You will work on numerous projects in different disciplines. Each student worker will be assigned a mentor responsible for directing assignments.
1. Follows Waggoner’s policies and procedures for project delivery. Follows and adheres to all federal and state regulations, client requirements and contracts, and company policies and procedures.
2. Helps execute projects to meet client expectations while meeting industry standard of care.
3. Identifies and develops project opportunities for new work and/or expanded services for established clients.
4. Identifies opportunities and takes action to build relationships between one's area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals; shares information and solicits feedback.
5. Handles service problems politely and efficiently, follows procedure to solve problems, understands company products and services, maintains pleasant and professional image.
6. Recognizes problems and responds, systematically gathers information, sorts through complex issues, seeks input from others, addresses root cause of issues, makes timely decisions, can make difficult decisions, uses consensus when possible, and communicates decisions to others.
7. Knows the organization’s mission and functions, and how its social, political and technological systems work and operate effectively within them; this includes the programs, policies, procedures, rules, and regulations of the organization.
1. Communicating Effectively
a. Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; speaks clearly and persuasively.
b. Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; writes clearly and informatively.
c. Listens with genuine interest, encourages discussion, does not monopolize conversations.
d. Provides timely and effective communications with team members.
2. Delivering High-Quality Work
a. Is solution oriented.
b. Anticipates problems and opportunities.
c. Prioritizes and plans work activities with supervision.
d. Produces high-quality work products and deliverables.
e. Follows internal quality control and risk mitigation protocols.
f. Includes appropriate people in the decision-making process and knows when to reach out for help from other technical experts.
3. Establishes Relationships
a. Able to relate to all kinds of people regardless of background.
b. Finds topics and common interests that can be used to build rapport with others.
This job generally operates in a professional office environment. Projects may require some activities outside of the office. These include site visits, sampling events, surveying, GIS data gathering, etc.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time non-exempt position. Business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding designated corporate holidays) 8 am – 5 pm. Placement will run through-out the semester.
Experience: Sophomore, Junior or Senior majoring in Engineering or a related field.
Other Knowledge and Skills:
· Advanced knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project required.
· Knowledge of design, Geographical Information Systems, and databases preferred.
· Communication skills and knowledge of industry products and operations are desirable.
OUR COMPANY: www.waggonereng.com
Founded in 1976, Waggoner has become more than an engineering firm. Our solutions are developed through a culture of integrity, service, and creativity for the benefit of our clients.
Our highly skilled and diverse staff of program management, planning, economic development, and policy professionals are committed to delivering engineering excellence and creative solutions to every project across the major disciplines.
· Construction Management
· Disaster Recovery
· Geospatial Asset Management
· Hydrology & Hydraulics
· Planning Development
Aspire to be the first choice of clients and employees to provide sustainable and resilient planning, geo-spatial, engineering and disaster recovery services.
To improve the quality of lives of our clients, communities, and employees.
Waggoner has expanded throughout the Mid-South and is recognized today for its innovative, multi-disciplinary services that make it much more than a traditional engineering firm.
Waggoner has a dynamic and strong team that has over 150 years of combined experience.
Making giving back a priority
Waggoner Engineering proudly supports dozens of civic and charitable organizations. We frequently sponsor events and programs that benefit our communities and clients. Waggoner staff members are individually involved with these and other local organizations and charities and are often recognized for their outreach efforts and community leadership. Our staff members take part in a variety of events to benefit the community, such as food drives and fundraisers.
Waggoner has 15 offices in five different states including Washington D.C.