Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) Lab Micro
Are you looking for a rewarding career with family-friendly hours and top-notch benefits? We’re looking for qualified Medical Laboratory Scientist like you to join our Texas Health family.
- Work location: Texas Health Dallas, 8200 Walnut Hill Ln. TX 75231.
- Work environment: Lab Micro Department
- Work hours: Fulltime Nights - 9:00p - 7:30a (8 days on/6 days off)
Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas (THD) is an 898-bed, Magnet-designated hospital and recognized clinical program leader, having provided compassionate care to the residents of Dallas and surrounding communities since 1966. A full-service regional referral center, Texas Health Dallas has approximately 3,500 employees and 1,100 physicians on its medical staff, and offers a full range of services, including cancer care, cardiology, neurosciences, orthopedics, senior care, women's services and a renowned Level III neonatal intensive care unit. Texas Health Dallas has been recognized as a U.S. News and World Report Best Hospital in multiple specialties and is an accredited Cycle IV Chest Pain Center by the Society of Chest Pain Centers. The hospital is also a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence, a certified Emergency Stroke Care center and was named “Best Place to Have a Baby” in Dallas County in 2012. We invite you to join us in furthering your career and our accomplishments and philosophy of excellence.
- Bachelor's Degree Medical Technology, Applied Technology, Clinical Lab Science or Chemical, Physical or Biological Science preferred.
- Individuals hired as a CLS II prior to January 3, 2010 will be grandfathered to the MLS position with existing education. degree may be obtained within 3 months of hire required.
- Internship in an approved Medical Technology training program required and 2 years-experience in a Medical Laboratory preferred.
- MT(ASCP) - Medical Technologist 90 Days required Or MLS(ASCP) - Medical Lab Scientist 90 Days required Or Other AMT, AAB, HHS, NCA, HEW, CLS- CA, FL, NY state license, Philippine Board of Technical Technology Upon Hire required Or M(ASCP) - Microbiology if working in Microbiology Upon Hire required Or BB (ASCP) - Blood Banking if working in Blood Bank Upon Hire required.
- Possesses organizational skills to function in a fast-paced environment, positive interpersonal skills, good verbal, and written communication skills, able to perform basic computer skills.
Position Responsibilities Texas Health Dallas Medical Laboratory Scientist will evaluate and solve problems related to collection and/or processing of specimens.
In addition to the required qualifications, a successful Medical Laboratory Scientist will:
- Specimen conditions are identified that adversely affect test results.
- Maintain specimen integrity throughout the testing process.
- Facilitates workflow process.
- Checks outstanding tests list in a timely manner.
- Troubleshoots and follows through on outstanding tests which appear to have not been collected/received when expected
- Knows and uses computer downtime procedures as needed when computer is not available.
- Gives proper notification when supplies need to be ordered.
- Utilizes time between testing to accomplish other needed tasks. (evaluation of kits, preparing controls, supply management, housekeeping duties, etc.).
- Performs tasks in a manner that enhances the quality of care.
- Helps other hospital and laboratory coworkers to provide timely patient care.
- Demonstrates active cost effectiveness.
- Follows established laboratory test procedures, including using proper computer protocol.
- Evaluates and reports test results.
- Communicates and documents relevant patient data to appropriate personnel.
- Relays information to next shift and coworkers (ex. instrument malfunctions, unusual patient results, testing problems).
- Gives direction and guidance to technical staff and laboratory support personnel.
- Demonstrates understanding of quality control guidelines.
- Follows Laboratory policies when quality control is not within established limits.
- Resolves quality control discrepancies before releasing/reporting patient results
- Documents and review QC and ensure corrective action when appropriate.
- Performs and documents laboratory equipment maintenance protocols within established time limits.
- Demonstrates knowledge to troubleshoot equipment.
- Follow laboratory protocol for proficiency testing.
- Incorporates safety/infection control measures into work practices.
- Follows HIPAA guidelines.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and follows all hospital and Lab safety/infection control policies and procedures.
- Participates in required hospital/laboratory safety drills.
- Utilizes the event reporting tool to document and report patient situations, on-the-job injuries, and medical device malfunctioning.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Why Texas Health As a Texas Health MLS you’ll enjoy top-notch benefits including 401(k) with match, paid time off, competitive health insurance choices, healthcare and dependent care spending account options, wellness programs to keep you and your family healthy, tuition reimbursement, a student loan repayment program and more.
At Texas Health, our people make this a great place to work every day. Our inclusive, supportive, people-first, excellence-driven culture makes Texas Health Dallas a great place to work.
Here are a few of our recent awards:
- 2021 FORTUNE Magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For®” (7th year in a row)
- Becker's Healthcare "150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare" (4 years running)
- “America’s Best Employers for Diversity” list by Forbes
- A “100 Best Workplaces for Millennials" by Fortune and Great Place to Work®
Additional perks of being a THD Medical Laboratory Scientist:
- Gain a sense of accomplishment by contributing to a teamwork environment
- Positively impact patients’ quality of life
- Receive excellent mentorship, comprehensive training and dedicated clinical leadership resources
- Enjoy opportunities for growth
Explore our Texas Health careers site for info like Benefits, Job Listings by Category, recent Awards we’ve won and more.
Do you still have questions or concerns? Feel free to email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.