Police Detention Officer
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See resume" in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.
About The Position
The Police Detention Officer performs duties associated with: the operation of a jail, the booking and processing of arrested persons, and the welfare and security of prisoners.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview. Final selection is contingent upon a background investigation which includes:
- Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment:
- Drug Screening
- Physical Examination*
- Psychological Testing*
* May be waived for current Scottsdale Police Department employees.
Preference may be given to candidates with experience in customer service/public contact, military, security / loss prevention or as a detention officer.
You may find further information regarding the Detention Officer position and the hiring process for the position by clicking here.
Click here to review the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
Education and Experience
- A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of application.
- Military experience.
- Ability to operate and maintain proficiency with a firearm.
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted Arizona driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
- Possess certification from a Detention/Correction/Police Officer academy or ability to obtain certification.
- Must possess and maintain a Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification within a year of date of hire.
- Pass a one-year probationary period.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following:
- Processes prisoners into the City's police detention facility; searches person, property and facility for contraband.
- Secures and inventories prisoner's personal property.
- Observes prisoners and logs security checks of prisoners being detained in cells.
- Restrains combative, suicidal, argumentative, or mentally disturbed prisoners.
- Determines if prisoners are ill or injured and obtains medical attention as necessary.
- Prepares and feeds meals to prisoners.
- Administers intoxilyzer test to suspects.
- Determines release criteria of prisoners according to established procedures.
- Transports prisoners to and from court, county jail and other valley agencies.
- Operates a PACE/ACIC/NCIC terminal to retrieve warrant and records information on prisoner; confirms warrants from other jurisdictions.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Display physical agility to restrain and control offenders within the confines of a jail setting or at mobile sites.
- React quickly and effectively to physical confrontations and emergency situations with prisoners (average weight 160 lbs).
- Bend, reach, kneel, and crouch; perform defensive tactics, which require quick reflexes, agility, coordination, and strength.
- Perform multiple physical tasks simultaneously.
- Stand and sit for long periods of time.
- Operate computer and other office equipment, intoxilyzer equipment, video arraignment equipment, telephone, camera, and fingerprint equipment requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand, and eye movement, visual and muscular dexterity, and controlled manipulations.
- Operate a Mobile Data Computer (MDC) and a variety of standard office equipment in an office environment including: computer, telephone, calculator, copy, and fax machine requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand, and eye movement.
- Visual and muscular dexterity to operate: a motor vehicle, computer equipment, and two-way radio maintaining constant vigilance to the surrounding area.
- Use appropriate Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) when needed/required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.