We are recruiting a hands-on aquaculture leader for the operation of our indoor controlled environment farm and Recirculating Aquaculture System (RAS). The Aquaculture Manager will be responsible for operating and maintaining our current R&D-scale RAS, then launching the 10,000 gallon Hybrid Striped Bass RAS at our upcoming commercial farm. The Aquaculture Manager will also be trained and contribute to horticulture and produce processing operations.
- Launch and manage the operation of state-of-the-art RAS, including developing stocking, feeding, and other operating plans
- Lead animal husbandry from nursery through harvest, tracking key performance indicators related to health, growth, and economics (e.g. Feed Conversion Ratio)
- Conduct general maintenance, sanitation, system operation, and minor repairs to keep operations running smoothly
- Maintain high levels of food safety and animal welfare by developing, following, and training colleagues in Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Agricultural Practices (GAP), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) protocols, and Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
- Assist with internal and third-party audits and inspections
- Analyze water chemistry to manage water quality not only for fish, but also aquaponically grown plants
- Participate in horticulture and produce processing operations including seeding, harvesting, washing, packaging, post-harvest cleaning, and sanitation
- Assist with other management processes including inventory management, customer invoicing & deliveries, and vendor relations & receiving
- 2+ years working at a RAS facility
- Direct, recent experience raising and monitoring fish
- Comfortable handling fish and agricultural materials
- Physically capable of the demands of the role, including the ability to lift, carry, push, or pull weights up to 50 pounds, and to stand for 8 hour shifts and engage in repetitive activities such as bending and squatting
- Reliable, detail-oriented, organized, hard-working, self-motivated, accountable
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, can work effectively as part of a team as either a leader or contributor
- Excited to give and responsive when receiving feedback
- Maintain high standards of hygiene to promote food safety
- Maintain a reliable form of transportation to and from the farm
- Authorized to work in USA
- High school diploma or G.E.D. Certificate
- Proficiency with computer programs such as Slack, Google Suite, Microsoft Office, and other custom enterprise software tools.
Preferred Skills + Experience
- Degree or training in a relevant field such as agriculture, aquaculture, biology, chemistry, environmental or life sciences, or other STEM field
- Ability to build Mass Balance models
- Ability to contribute to RAS engineering
We offer our team members a dynamic work environment with benefits including medical, dental, vision, FSA/HSA, as well as additional perks like lots of fresh, free salad.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We actively encourage applicants with widely diverse and non-traditional background to apply. Our needs and our opportunities are unique and varied so we value unique and varied contributions in our colleagues. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and/or protected veteran status.