Alabama Nature Center – Naturalist Job Announcement and Description
BACKGROUND: The Alabama Wildlife Federation (AWF), located in Millbrook, Alabama, is the oldest and largest non-profit conservation organization in Alabama. The AWF was established by sportsmen in 1935 to promote the conservation and wise use of our wildlife and natural resources and to ensure a high quality of life for future generations of Alabamians. The mission of the AWF is to promote the conservation of Alabama's wildlife and related natural resources, as a basis for the social and economic prosperity of present and future generations, through wise use and responsible stewardship of our wildlife, forests, fish, soils, water, and air. Our organization strives to educate our children about the wonders of Alabama’s outdoors, including our rich natural history and biodiversity, through our Conservation Education programs.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Naturalist is responsible for teaching outdoor education and natural science programs to groups of children and adults. The Naturalist’s goals are to encourage students’ awareness and appreciation of the environment, broaden the students’ knowledge of science concepts, and foster students’ understanding of the proper use, management, and protection of our natural resources.
- DUTIES: Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following: Ensuring programs are taught according to the curriculum developed by the Alabama Nature Center staff and in consideration of the mission of the Alabama Wildlife Federation
- Guiding and being responsible for children in a variety of settings and for varying lengths of time
- Setting up and cleaning up for education programs
- Greeting visitors, helping with the gift shop and answering visitor questions
- Conducting other related activities as assigned by the Director of School Programs including occasional animal care, working with volunteer groups, supply inventory or trail maintenance
- Being able to navigate to and from the areas of the property where education programs are conducted, including being familiar with our five miles of trails
- POSITION REQUIREMENTS: Ability to set tone and be in control of group you are leading
- Ability to memorize and recall facts, figures, and information and communicate effectively
- Ability to hike on trails, and traverse stairs and uneven terrain while carrying equipment
- Ability to make independent decisions and respond to immediate needs of students, emergency situations, and program needs
- Ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions and temperatures
- Ability to work well with limited supervision and demonstrate flexibility
- Ability to be reliable and punctual for all programs
- Ability to interact successfully with supervisors, co-workers, teachers, parents and students
- Knowledge of native flora and fauna highly desirable; training provided as needed
- Willingness to handle and care for resident education animals used for programs
- A background check will be required
- WHO MAKES A GREAT NATURALIST CANDIDATE?Successful Naturalists at the Alabama Nature Center will include people with the following backgrounds:
- • Retired public and private school teachers, especially those who have taught elementary and middle school grade levels and science, math, and/or natural history related subjects
- • Retired natural resource professionals in forestry, wildlife, water and environmental management, geology, and similar disciplines
- • Recent college graduates in the fields of wildlife, forestry, biology, zoology, environmental science, early childhood education and related disciplines
- • Professionals trained in the natural resource interpretation fiel
- PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's or Associate degree from a four-year college or university with major course work in the natural sciences or education field
- Three years of related experience and/or training
- Experience working with children in an educational setting
This position is part-time, hourly, and seasonal that varies in the number of hours offered depending on when students are at the Alabama Nature Center for school programs. Hourly pay for this position will be determined based on qualifications; there is a potential for raises. There are no health or retirement benefits offered with this position.
Email a completed application and 1) your resume, 2) three professional references, and 3) a cover letter that explains why you are applying for the position, what you bring to the table, and why conservation education is important to you.